27 June 2011

Genesis 2:1-3

"So the sky, the earth, and all that filled them were finished. By the seventh day God finished the work he had been doing, so he rested from all his work. God blessed the seventh day and made it a holy day, because on that day he rested from all the work he had done in creating the world."

This in my opinion is a very clear message. All work and no play is bad for us. It is even bad for God, hence he rested. I always picture him on a sunlounge in Barbados as a kind of old man in a Hawaiian shirt and drinking a cocktail at this point... not too sure why. I don't think that we should take the rest and relaxation to the extreme some people do where they can't even switch on a lightswitch on the holy day. However I do think that we shouldn't work or do homework or anything which stresses us out on the holy day. I think we should do only things we enjoy, intermingled with a little praising God.

The story of creation is one they get you to tell throughout school using the media of drawing, stained glass windows, story boards, paper plates... I drew this picture in every one of these ways throughout my education. I suppose the reason for this is because it's something which causes a lot of debate but which even small children can be interested in... even they kind've get it, that yearning need to know how it all happened. The big question of 'WHY AM I HERE?'. I'm sure everyone has thought at some point, for what reason do I exist, I seem kind of pointless. This story gives one answer to that question, God created you because he felt you were needed and God knows best.

Rowen

No comments:

Post a Comment