26 May 2012

The Wise Man's Fear - Patrick Rothfuss



The Wise Man's Fear


The Wise Man's Fear lived up to my expectations. Which says a lot because they were high, what with The Name of the Wind being the best book I've ever read and all.

I loved the depth that was gone into with Kvothe and the way in which you really grow to know him and care for him, despite the fact that none of it is done blatantly. I love Kvothes character, the fact that he is studious, but almost reluctantly so, this aspect of him reminds me of myself, in that I like learning but not really putting in the effort. I love the fact that he's a little bit devious and incredibly charming, he reminds me of Kheldar, my favourite character in the Belgariad and Malloreon series by David Eddings.


I continue to be intrigued by the modern Kote who has somehow locked up some quite significant parts of himself, meaning he can no longer do some of the things he used to take for granted, which is a shame in many ways. I personally hope that Bast and Chronicler find a way to unlock him.


One thing I've come to notice, and it doesn't detract from my enjoyment of the story at all, is that although Kvothe's actions have in some way affected the wider world his story exists in a kind of narrow tunnel. I'd love to find out how he's affected the wider world, because there's a price on his head for it and I think it may be key to him returning to himself.

While I enjoy Kvothe in any setting I'm most comfortable with him in the university. While everywhere else seems to fit him like a glove, the university fits him like skin.


It was a brilliant book.


Go out; Buy it; Read it.


Rowen

No comments:

Post a Comment