14 June 2012

The Colour of Magic - Terry Pratchett

I don't know about you but I love a trip onto the Discworld, it's so well established and all of Pratchett's characters are so much fun.


I first read a Discworld novel when a friend bought me 'A Hat Full of Sky' I loved Tiffany Aching and I've read 3 of the books which have her as the main character. I loved all of them.


The Colour of Magic was a bit different. This was partly because it was an adult novel, so some of the language used, more than the themes involved, were a bit more advanced, the humour was a bit more dry and a bit less obvious. It was still hilarious. It was also because it's the first of the Discworld novels, and as such there was a fair amount of world building to be done.


Pratchett picked the perfect character and story to fulfill this, the Disc's first tourist. Twoflower and Rincewind were perfect together. Brilliant interactions and depth of character. I have to say I like Rincewind that little bit more, but just because he's hilariously cowardly!


I'm linking up to Speed Date Night @ The Book Swarm.


On a slight side note, who else really likes cover art like these?


Rowen

2 comments:

  1. I'm not a huge fan of that style cover art but it seems to be de rigueur for high fantasy.

    My brother was a huge Terry Pratchett fan so I have read some of his books but not this one. Might have to pick it up! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that style of cover art :) And High fantasy is my go-to genre if i want to read a new book just because, so that probably has a lot to do with it!

      Delete