18 June 2012

Sausage Casserole

I wish I had a picture to go with this, but I don't. It's my favourite dinner ever since forever! One batch will feed about 15 hungry adults so it's great to make and freeze some or to have for several meals on the trot. It comes from a booklet published in 1995 from the 'Family Favourites Recipe Competition' and each recipe comes with a quote from the person who entered it. 


This recipe was entered by Robert George who says "My son requests this every time he is home from school. He sneaks into the kitchen for a taste during cooking and requests it for breakfast, lunch and supper. He'd have it for elevenses if he could." This is how I react to it, my boyfriend and I made this when we stayed at home last summer while my parents went on holiday, we ate it for 5 meals straight before we decided we really should put some in the freezer!


You Need:

  • 450g Sausages
  • 3 cloves of garlic
  • 5 medium onions
  • 5 medium potatoes
  • Frozen peas
  • Salt and pepper
  • Tomato puree
  • 900ml stock
  • 1 smoked sausage
  • 1 tin chopped tomatoes
  • 1 tin chick peas
  • 175-225g red lentils
  • Worcestershire sauce
  • Oil
Method:
  1. Chop the onions and cube the potatoes. Sweat over a low heat in a large pot in the oil with the crushed garlic for 15 minutes. If you're in a hurry fry more quickly over a gentle heat.
  2. Cook the sausages but not the garlic sausage (grill/bake them) 
  3. Add the stock and lentils and simmer for 10 minutes.
  4. Chop the sausages and garlic sausage and add with the tinned tomatoes, chick peas and frozen peas.
  5. Add tomato puree, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper to taste.
  6. Simmer for 15 minutes.
  7. Don't over-serve the portions, it's filling and you'll be able to go back for seconds!
Enjoy this with many family and friends!

Rowen

5 comments:

  1. Ooh, this sounds yummy! I love big portions that you can freeze for later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well the only person I've ever come across who doesn't like it is my sister who doesn't really like sausages :P

      Delete
  2. Almost sounds like goulash! Delicious -- love sausage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really know what goulash is, except that my history teacher kept mentioning it while we were studying Russia last year!

      Delete
  3. Certainly sounds good & just reminded me that it's time to start thinking about making dinner.

    ReplyDelete