14 September 2012

Book Beginnings: The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins

'When I wake up, the other side of the bed is cold.'

Having already read this my reaction is a little post haste but I can tell you it was good. Instead what I'm going to do with this beginning is treat it a bit like a coursework quote and analyse it.

Firstly we can tell from this quote that Katniss is in a large bed which she usually shares. The fact that the other side of the bed is cold has been made noteworthy shows that it was unexpected. It sets you on the alert for something out of the usual happening.

The other thing I think is important about this beginning is that for all the hype of a book which has a lot of pace and drama to it 'The Hunger Games' doesn't begin with great speed and gusto but with and almighty calm.

Apologies for using a book which has probably been used a hundred times before, but it deserved it!

I'm linking up with Book Beginnings @ Rose City Reader and I promise to catch up with everyone else's posts eventually, it may take a while though.

Rowen

For related posts:

3 comments:

  1. I have this book on my Kindle but I haven't read it yet. Thanks for posting the beginning -- I'll read it next! Everything I've heard about the book is good, and I'd like to read it before I see the movie.
    My Beginnings post is here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I deffo say read it first! I saw the film first but the book is soooo much better! Then you really have to read the next one and then the next! :D

      Delete
    2. I agree with what Niamh said. It's definitely worth reading it first, I would have done but my friend suggested we see it when she was staying with me before I had a chance to read the books. Luckily it works great the other way round too and the movie is very true to the book although told from a completely different perspective! I bought the trilogy and thought I'd read the first and save the other two for rainy days, but I'd read them all by the end of the week!

      Delete