5 December 2013

Blameless - Gail Carriger

Blameless (Parasol Protectorate, #3)
Image from Goodreads

As the third book in the generally hilarious Parasol Protectorate series I would have expected Blameless to have a lot of comedy, if it was for the cliffhanger on which Changeless ended. I’ll be the first to admit that having witnessed the loving relationship between Lord and Lady Maccon, I would never have expected, ever, for Lord Maccon to be yelling ay Alexia about her supposed betrayal.


What quickly becomes clear in Blameless is that Alexia is in fact blameless of everything Conall is accusing her of. As the reader we could, with a small leap of logic, have surmised this for ourselves long ago. But in this story it is very interesting to see how pig-headedly stubborn Conall is. I found it interesting that by the time Conall had come to his senses Alexia had already managed to get herself into, and out of, some deep and fairly personal trouble.

Something that I liked about Blameless more than the previous two books in the Parasol Protectorate series was the development of the secondary characters. It was by no means complete development, but it highlighted some traits I doubt I would have picked up on otherwise. Particularly for Professor Lyall who seemed to get more solo page time in this novel.

I loved the string of events which took place in London, from the planned swarm of Lord Akeldama to the theft of something ‘precious’ to him. Who knew Vampires swarmed? Every time I read about it I couldn’t help thinking of giant Bees.

I found the ending of the book to be beautiful and tragic in a slightly comedic fashion. The series has moved past the compulsory happy ever after. There were tears and laughter and it perfectly matched the overall ambience of the book.

At the end of book three this has turned into a series I’m not sure I’ll ever want to put down.


Rowen

Day 5

No comments:

Post a Comment