3 December 2013

Changeless - Gail Carriger

Changeless (Parasol Protectorate, #2)
I'mage from Goodreads

Once again I loved these characters. I loved their quirks. I loved their newly developed depths. And most of all I loved the fierce protectiveness they suddenly developed for one another.

If you read my review of Soulless you will know that I enjoyed it and central to that enjoyment were the respective characters of Alexia Tarabotti and Lord Maccon. Well Alexia Tarabotti just became Lady Alexia Maccon, and the fun that was these two reached a whole new level.

Married life proposed completely new aspects to what it means to be a Soulless. First of all there’s the practicality, meaning that Alexia lives very much in the real world, even if that real world is fictional to us. Secondly there’s the fact that although he’s immortal, all bodily functions frozen forever, she turns her husband mortal, posing some very interesting questions.

The story itself once again followed a fantastic premise. What happens when you take resumed mortality and spread it to affect pretty much all of London? You get a very angry werewolf! I found it fascinating to watch trails develop and see how various characters would react.

I loved the interaction with Lady Kingair. Once again I think Gail Carriger is exploring avenues most people would never even think to look at.  I’d never before considered the possibility that Vampires and Werewolves may have children before being turned, stereotypically being very young adults at the age of turning, and it was a unique idea.

Finally I once again loved the ending! So dramatic, and a perfect set up for Blameless. But seriously, who else saw the pregnancy coming?! It had to happen just from asking the marriage questions I hinted at earlier!

Rowen

22 days to go

No comments:

Post a Comment