7 January 2016

The Soprano Sorceress - L. E. Modesitt Jr

Image from Goodreads
When Anna Marshall is transported from her boring and frustrating life in Ames, Iowa, to the very different world of Erde, she's angry and confused, but soon finds out that for the first time in her life she's uniquely powerful. In Iowa Anna was a music instructor and small-time opera singer, but on Erde her musical ability makes her a big-time sorceress--potentially.

First she must figure out how to use her ability before the big-time rulers who've notices her arrival kill her just because she's an unpredictable new power....Those rulers may wish they hadn't waited as long as they did.

I read this book during the course of 2015 but I picked up the entire Spellsong Cycle from a charity shop several years ago. I'm a long time fan of L. E. Modesitt Jr's work having enjoyed each book I've read from the Recluce Saga and the one Imager book I have managed to read.

2015 saw us move to a home where I've had access to a very limited selection of my books. I wasn't sure entirely which recluce book came next and I like to read at least one Modesitt book a year, he writes such big books so prolifically I would never be able to keep up otherwise.

The Soprano Sorceress as the first book in the Spellsong Cycle didn't disappoint me. It saw Anna transported to a new planet, she had to learn to handle the overwhelming new powers she had gained. It saw her struggle with the balance of power and control.

The Soprano Sorceress saw me turning page after page desperate to get to the end. As a standalone book I believe it worked reasonably well, but at the end of it enough questions were left unanswered to drive me to pick up the next book in the series. 

No comments:

Post a Comment